We've Moved

The Stella Blog has a new home! www.StellaEventDesign.com/blog
Change your reader subscriptions and bookmarks and visit often!
Thanks!

Friday, April 25, 2008

Q+A {Stella Event Design}

A lot of people ask me about the "Stella" in Stella Event Design. Unfortunately, there is no Stella, just myself, Jessica. To clear things up, here are some quick facts and a little Friday Q+A with Me!

The Basics
Full Name: Jessica N. Pennington
Title: Owner & Event Designer at Stella Event Design
Office Location: St. Joseph, Michigan
Service Area: Southwest Michigan, Northwest Indiana, and Beyond!
Services: I offer customer packages, ranging from decor services and day-of coordination to several levels of full-service planning and hourly consulting. Assistance is also available for corporate, non-profit or social events!

Q+A {I did an email interview with
Kelly Powers Photography a few days ago, so I'll include some of the great questions she asked me!}

Q: How did you get into wedding planning? What do you love about it?
A: I actually got into event planning first, back in 2002. I have always wanted to plan events, so i started by taking courses while i was at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I also worked as their special events intern for a year, which involved planning a lot of campus events for 100-2000 students, which really piqued my interest in planning. Through Grand Valley, I also worked with the event coordinator at a large law firm, to plan their holiday recognition party in 2004, for 300+ legal professionals at the Amway Grand. Helping with friends weddings, planning social events, and a few corporate and non-profit events, led to my desire to open Stella Event Design. Stella began as a dream in 2006, but was put on hold to plan my own wedding, and began officially in 2007. Currently I have mostly weddings booked, but would love to get back into corporate and non-profit events as the company grows in the future.

The thing I love the most about wedding planning is the sense of gratification you fell when you help someon plan such an important life event. i love being able to take someone's vision and dreams for their day, and help them turn it into a beautiful, successful event that really shines with their personality.

Q: Why "Stella?"
A: In Italian, Stella means 'star.' I felt it was a good representation of what someone should feel like at their event, whether they are the bride, the mother of the bride, a CEO hosting a client dinner, or an expectant mother at her shower. Whatever the role, I want people to be able to sit back and relax on their important day, and be a guest at their event.

Q: Why do you think it's valuable to have an wedding planner?
A: For a lot of people, it's a real challenge to pull together all of their ideas, and create an overall design that doesn't just look like a hodge-podge of pretty things. A wedding planner can help you pull together all of your ideas, and help to create an event that has a feeling of continuity. More importantly, a wedding planner can help you to coordinate the logistics of a wedding, so that you can relax and enjoy your wedding day. A wedding planner is also a fabulous resource to connect you with quality vendors that fit not only your style, but also your budget. A lot of people view a wedding planner as a budget-buster, when in reality, a good wedding planner can help you make the most of your budget and save you money in the long run.

Q: What is your favorite moment in a wedding celebration?
A: I have 2 favorite parts--the first, is the moment when the bride is waiting to go down the aisle with her father. It's so fun to see a bride so excited and giddy to go down the aisle--i think that is the moment when it hits most brides that 'this is actually happening!' The second, is when the bride and groom get ready to leave the reception, after everything has gone smoothly, and the night has turned out just as they had hoped. This is when all 3 of us get to look back and say, "we did it," which is a great feeling.

Q: Do you travel for weddings?
A: Yes, I am very willing to travel, to assist couple's with day-of coordination. Of course, because of travel costs (like these skyrocketing gas costs!) there would be a travel fee for events farther than 50 miles from St. Joseph, Michigan. If you're interested in assistance with events in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (or maybe Mexico or Jamaica) I would be happy to help you with your planning needs!

Q: Favorite things to do in the spring?
A: Anything Outside! I love to grill with my husband---he does most of the grilling, but I love to sit outside with him and hang out when he grills up something delicious!

Q: What is one piece of advice you'd give to brides?
A: Stay organized! If you're planning a wedding on your own, the best thing you can do is to get a head start on things. Don't wait until the last minute, and make sure you're wrapping up any DIY projects several weeks before the wedding, so you can enjoy yourself! If you've got a wedding planner, let her worry about the details, and just enjoy your day!

Q: Any hobbies or guilty pleasures?
A: I am addicted to reading blogs! Both wedding and design related, I go through about 35+ each morning in my Google Reader. I also love home decor, and can't get enough of stores like Crate and Barrel, CB2 and Anthropologie. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my husband, scrap booking, and being on the lake!

1 comment:

ami @ elizabeth anne designs said...

hi! thank you so much for stopping by our blog this morning! i was excited to find another blog (i, too, am addicted) to add to my google reader! your blog is fantastic.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online